We reluctantly packed up camp at Lemontree Flat and made our way out of Kwiambal National Park with sad faces. The GPS was locked into Stanthorpe meaning we also had to cross the border into QLD.
We opted to cross at the beautiful old township of Texas, making our way over the ranges and whilst the landscape was getting greener and more lush, the sky was getting darker and the temperature was going down.
We arrived at Stanthorpe around lunchtime and we almost needed a jersey LOL. We grabbed some information from the Visitor Centre and had lunch by the lovely wetlands right behind the centre.
After a bite to eat we decided to check out some of the tourist sites around town. Our first site was Quart Pot Creek Rail Bridge, a heritage-listed railway bridge at Quart Pot Creek, locally known as the Red Bridge.
Someone had a bit of a wardrobe malfunction at this point, with the funniest bit being we have no idea how long she’s been walking around like that 😂😂😂
From the bridge we headed up the hill to the Soldiers Memorial, a heritage listed memorial built in 1926 and took the form of a park and rest house located on Foxton’s Hill described at the time by The Queenslander as one of the lonely hills overlooking Stanthorpe.
Going further up the hill we ended up at the Mt Marlay Lookout which has fantastic views across the town to the mountains.
Suttons Juice Farm
We were now headed for the beautiful agricultural area of Allora, however we couldn’t resist a stop at Suttons Juice Farm/Factory along the way.
Dalrymple Creek Park/Reserve
We arrived into Allora just before sunset, and pulled up at the free overnight camp at Dalrymple Creek Park/Reserve. There’s a little playground for the kids, a big open green space, with a walking track around the park, and a toilet, making it a great little overnight stop.
In 1948, an allora district farmer Watty Stark, received an unusually rare gift for his birthday. To his surprise his mates Jack Busiko and Bill Blocsidge delivered a 1200 gallon wooden water trough for use in his cattle yard on his ellinthorpe property. The trough, which took two days for the men to construct, was made from a dead bloodwood tree taken from the Pechey State Forest. Due to the size and weight of the trough the men used an army GMC 6×6 truck to transport it to Watty’s property. In 1980, the Stark family sold the property to Don and Margaret Duff who then donated the large trough to the Allora shire council. In 1991 the trough was placed in its current position in dalrymple creek park, allora.